Carlisle, PA, United States
Jan 08, 2021
About Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services, LLC, is the services company of Ahold Delhaize USA, currently providing services to five East Coast grocery brands, including Food Lion, The GIANT Company, Giant Food, Hannaford and Stop & Shop. Retail Business Services leverages the scale of the local brands to drive synergies and provides industry-leading expertise, insights and analytics to local brands to support their strategies with services including Information Technology, Merchandising, Marketing & Sourcing Services, Private Brand Products, Pharmacy Services, Not for Resale, Store Services, Financial Services, Legal Services, Communications, Supply Chain and People Systems and Services. Retail Business Services operates across seven campuses in the Greater Charlotte, Harrisburg, D.C., Portland, Boston and Chicago Areas. For more information, visit ****To stay updated with the latest news, follow Retail Business Services on LinkedIn (@Retail-Business-Services) and Twitter (@RBServicesNews).
Position Title: Manager I Construction Projects
Position Location: Carlisle, PA
The primary scope of this position is to manage new store, expansion and remodel projects from pre-construction (schedules, review of plans & bidding) through construction (implementing of construction activities, budget management and municipal sign offs) and warranty / close-out period (completion of punch list / warranty items and close-out financial documents within the timeline requirements).
Project Manager I will manage various types of projects including new store build - to suit, pad - ground leases, self – developed and expansion & interior remodels.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the bidding and awarding processes related to all GC's (General Contractors), CM's (Construction Managers), individual subcontractors and various suppliers.
• Manage the compilation of all bid documents, including requests for proposals, bid forms, bid plans, special instructions, schedules, and uploading the RFQ (Request for Quote) package. A comprehensive, accurate, timely bid package minimizes the cost of the project and help to prevent change orders to the project in the future.
• Manage the preparation of contracts, purchase orders, processing, and payment of all requisitions and invoices through the Proliance accounting system.
• Manage the Construction Change Authorization/Change Order process, assuring changes are valid and not part of original scope of work. Timely payments also help to lower bid cost in the future, as vendors like to work for owners who pay their bill on time.
• Manage the bid, contract and requisition approval process for Baltic Trail Refrigeration group.
• Manage the redline review process of ARCH/MEP (Architectural/Mechanical Engineering Plans) on assigned projects with respect to accuracy and conformance to prototype standards, building codes, and other generally accepted construction practices.
• Provide value engineering feedback to the Engineering department on assigned projects. Develop and implement new cost savings ideas, including value engineering and construction means and methods, that will result in saving time and money.
• Ensure Build for Less savings are incorporated into all documents
• Plan new store expansion, remodel projects, and department roll-outs by creating detailed phase plans and closely monitoring
• Coordinate with all internal departments regarding schedules, project phasing and changes. Oversee the construction activities to ensure completion in a timely manner and in accordance with prototype and lease requirements.
• Issue complete period budget report to keep Senior Management up to date on the financial status of the project and to any changes that will affect it.
• Review all pending change orders and determine potential impact to the budget so they can be projected properly.
• Update period budget report and compare / align with Proliance committed costs.
• Work with all other departments, (Purchasing, Refrigeration, Real Estate etc.) to ensure all potential costs are being committed / projected.
• Submit projected number for all cost centers for incorporation into the budget report
• Direct weekly project construction and operations meetings for all assigned projects
• Plan and direct these weekly meetings with GC's or CM's, including subcontractors, vendors, and operations support teams is vital and prerequisite to the successful operation and timely completion of projects.
• Inspect progress to verify that all work is compliant with plans and specifications and meets our standards for quality and appearance.
• Monitor and evaluate on site activities to determine if consistent with the construction schedule milestones.
• Prepare and manage as necessary construction schedules, phase plans, two-week look ahead schedules, critical equipment delivery schedules for equipment delivery
• Minimize disruptions that will interfere with store operation and complete renovations and new stores per schedule. Schedules must be revised and/or updated in a timely manner to accurately indicate job status.
• Manage the Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) on all assigned projects to ensure that all subcontractors provide appropriate insurance documentation and verify that all vendors are enrolled in the program in a timely manner.
• This includes the ensuring that the subcontractors accurately report all hours on their hourly closeout forms to maximize the OCIP deduct of their insurance costs on the project.
• Work with the Safety department and the contractors' safety reps to ensure safety inspections are completed, workers are trained, and the project runs in as safe a manor as possible, always promoting a safe working environment.
• Work with our safety dept. to review safety expectations at the start of every project.
• During weekly visits and job meetings call out both positive examples of safe practices and areas of concern.
• Write warnings and eventually fines for contractors who do not follow the process.
• After the job completes perform a post mortem with our safety dept. and recommend safety awards for vendors who promoted safety as a standard.
• Meet with vendors who were delinquent and determine if they can improve and continue to work for us.
• Implement and manage the project completion process including the punch list walk thru inspections, project closeout manuals, and the project punch list completion signoff process.
• This process includes all as built plans, and the completion and payment of all construction requisitions and invoices within four months after store opening. Fill out and submit Fixed Asset documents for the disposition of all equipment removed from the store to insure accurate depreciation accounting.
• Bachelor’s Degree. Construction Management or Engineering
• 5-7 years relative to industry
Skills and Abilities:
• Practical Construction technology and methods
• Knowledge of architectural designs/engineering concepts and processes; construction methods and materials; site/off site design and development; project management; environmental and legal issues relative to development; supermarket/retail industry standards.
• Full knowledge of Construction Safety and OSHA requirements.
• Must be able to read and interpret: plans; specifications; building codes; and lease exhibits.
• Must be able to do complex phase planning and construction scheduling.
• Must be able to read/interpret/write contracts, schedules and timelines.
• Oral and/or written communication skills
• Presentation skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Customer focus
• Attention to detail
• Negotiation skills
• Strategic planning